2011 Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival
Download Brochures and Entry Forms:
- Entry fee: £50 per event (entry is free for players holding
the GM, IM, WGM or WIM titles).
- Late entry fee surcharge of £25 per event
(if presented after 10 January 2011).
- Participants utilizing the Caleta Hotel packages have
their entry fee included.
- Players needing to apply for visas are strongly advised
to follow the procedure described in detail on the Visa page.
- Payment: Cheques should be made payable to the
Gibraltar Chess Congress.
- Entries should be sent to The
Caleta Hotel, Sir Herbert Miles Road, Gibraltar.
- All entries
shall be acknowledged, as long as the entry form has a full
postal address, a fax number, or an email address.
- No entry
form will be accepted unless payment is received with the
- Cancellations received in writing before 1 January
2011 shall receive a full refund.
RIGHT OF REFUSAL
- The right is reserved to refuse any entry.
- Players for the Masters tournament must register before
19.30hrs on 24 January 2011 or have confirmed their
entry at the Caleta Hotel in order to be included in the first
- Players for first-week Challenger or Amateur
tournaments must register before 19.30hrs on 23 January
2011 or have confirmed their entry at the Caleta Hotel in
order to be included in the first round draw.
DEFAULT TIME (All Events)
- Players arriving 30 minutes or more after the start of a session
shall lose, unless the arbiter decides otherwise.
- These must be switched off in the playing venue. If a player’s phone makes any sound or is used during play, the player will forfeit the game.
NO SMOKING RULE
- Smoking is forbidden in the playing hall and adjacent areas or in the commentary room.
- All games in all five events shall be graded by the English Chess Federation.
- The Masters and both Challenger tournaments shall be rated by FIDE (World Chess Federation).
- The two Amateur tournaments shall also be rated provided there are enough rated entrants.
PAIRING SYSTEM AND TITLE OPPORTUNITIES
- An Accelerated Swiss Pairing system is used in the Masters and this provides exceptional opportunities to qualify for FIDE title norms.
BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFIER
- The highest placed eligible player not already qualified in the Gibraltar Masters shall qualify for the right to play in the 2011 British Championship (July/August) in Sheffield.
- Any eligible player achieving a high performance rating may also qualify for the right to play in the 2011 British Championship (see the English Chess Federation website for full details).
PAYMENT OF PRIZES
- Prizes in all events shall be paid by cheque or electronic transfer, except for the two evening blitz tournaments and the first week Challenger and Amateur events.
- Any player wishing to receive their potential prize money in cash (pounds sterling or euros) must inform the hotel of their wish to exercise this option on the entry form. There shall be a charge of 3% of the prize money for this service.
- Commentaries take place daily in the afternoon and are directed by Grandmaster Stuart Conquest.
- Audience participation is encouraged.
- These commentaries are broadcast live on the congress website.
- There is no charge for spectators to watch the games in play, to attend commentaries or to attend evening events.
- Players are requested to send the email contacts of their local media to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance. This information will enable your results to be reported.
- Any dispute arising in connection with the rules and regulations governing the Tournament shall be determined by the organizing committee whose decision will be final and binding.
JUNIOR (UNDER 18) CONGRESS
- Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 February 2011. Separate details will be available from The Caleta Hotel.
Download 2011 brochure (PDF, 4.87 mbs)
Download 2011 brochure for the August 2011 Junior International (PDF, 2.35 mbs)